2 Days Experience Danakil
Day 1: Mekele- Hamedela
Drive to Hamed Ela via Berhale . The Danakil Depression can be said to ‘begin’ here. We’ll pass through the small town of Berhale where the camel caravans stop before they proceed to the Northern Highlands . En route you see many long caravans going to the salt mines and others coming out of the Danakil with their salt loaded camels.
Overnight camp at Hamedela .
Day 2: Hamedela-Dallol- Mdekele
You’ll want your camera with you today. We’ll rise for breakfast and a morning
driving tour to Ragad (Asebo) , the place where the salts are mined. We’ll get to see
the breaking, cutting and loading of the salt from the ground to camels.
Next, we’ll drive to Dallol and Lake Assal and visit a striking varied otherworldly
landscape formed by volcanic activity in this region. We’ll stand on one of the
lowest places in the world (116m below sea level), visit the colour sulphuric salt,
follow the camel caravans and walk with the Afar people.
Finally, we’ll drive back to Hamed Ela and proceed to Mek’ele .
Cost for the Danakil part, $ per person The price Includes
- All Entrance fees and licenses as per the program.
- Accommodation and all meals throughout the tour.
- Bottles of water for the trip.
- Surface Transport expense with four wheel drive Land-cruiser including fuel expense and drivers allowance
- Local guide service for the afar region as per the program.
- Cooking, camping equipment,
- Scout and police service in Afar Region as per the program.
- Camel and camel tires in Afar Region as per the program.
For the duration of the trip we are responsible for all meals, water, entrance fees, accommodation, security and transportation.
What to bring
Torches (walking in the night)
Small backpack for the trek to the top of the volcano
Closed , comfortable shoes (trekking shoes )
San protection like sun cream, hat jacket for the night on the volcano